Property Deal Analysis Overview
This is a condo in one of our favorite investor complexes in Aurora. We originally put an offer in but lost out to a cash offer. It fell out of contract when the stock market tanked due to COVID. I am not sure if the buyer had his cash in the stock market, but regardless, it’s a good reminder to get your money out of anything volatile when looking to buy.
The listing agent called us but then later realized that they had taken a backup offer. She was contractually obligated to take that offer. That offer fell out too. She came back to us, and we were able to put the property under contract and close it with financing.
This closed in late April and happened during the COVID-19 lockdown. Fortunately, we know the complex well and had walked it when it initially came on the market. We were not worried about rents, since many tenants in this complex are Section 8 with guaranteed government rent.
This property closed Q2 2020.
- Buy and hold investor who wants to diversify his retirement money in the stock market.
- Repeat client who knows what he wanted.
- He prefers turnkey properties that property management can handle from day one.
- Listen to the podcast "#188: Rental Property Purchased During COVID-19 Pandemic" on the Denver Real Estate Investing Podcast
- Watch the YouTube video (at the bottom.)
- Read the blog post. Note, the blog is an executive summary. Get the in-depth breakdown from the podcast or video.
Deal Quadrant: MLS
Read about the deal quadrant and finding Denver Rental Properties.
Investment Property Details
- Type: Condo
- 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom
- Location: Aurora
- List Price: $205,000
- Purchase Price: $205,000
- Why we liked it:
- Turnkey property
- Fully remodeled from a flipper.
- We know the complex and it’s a great investment.
Property Contract Details
- Finding the property: This property was on the MLS, but fell out of contract twice before we purchased it. The agent regretted not taking our offer initially because of our track record and reputation.
- Under contract: $205,000
- Inspection Concerns:
- Minor punch list items
- Inspection negotiation outcome:
- Seller took care of all punch list items
Property Financing Details
- Lender: Conventional
- Loan Type: 25% down conventional
- Appraisal: at value, no issues.
- Seller Concessions: 0
- PMI: None
- Interest Rate Buy Down?: Yes
Spreadsheet Rental Analysis
Property Operating Expenses
First Year Returns
If you’re a regular follower, then you know we buy many of these condos as they generate good cash flow and are solid “base hit” properties for building a rental portfolio. We are big fans of acquiring many “base hit” properties as they are a proven and realistic way of building a rental portfolio.
Our client was able to pick up a great property while many investors were sitting on the sidelines. He wanted to take advantage of the low interest rates and is planning on getting a Section 8 tenant in there. Another great property is added to his portfolio!
Read another deal analysis on a different investment condo in this same complex.